K-1 Health Insurance

If you have ever seen the television show 90 Day Fiancé you probably already have an idea of what the K-1 Visa is. For everybody else it is a visa issued to a fiancé of a United States citizen to come to the United States for 90 days or less with the goal of getting married. At the end of the 90 days the foreigner will need to either marry the U.S. citizen petitioner or depart the United States.

At E&M Global we don’t have an opinion on the Visa or the TV show but rather we seek solutions for the foreigner to obtain proper insurance.

What are the options for a K-1 individual.


Depending on your state we could pursue a short term major medical product that would cover the large things and give you negotiated rates such things as doctor visits. These policies are written with a 3-month term with the option to extend that another 3 months making it a 6-month policy. If a client understands the benefits a short term major medical can be a great idea and is less expensive than an ACA policy.


If a permanent policy is the goal than we have the answers as well. If we are outside open enrollment than an Expat policy that covers wellness exams, hospitalization, doctor visits, medications etc. should be considered. Unlike ACA plans these are usually cheaper and in some cases, offer superior benefits. The only negative of one of these policies would be that they may not cover a pre-existing condition. Again, this is condition specific so please speak with a broker before any decisions are made.

In conclusion an individual who is coming to the United States on a K-1 Visa will need proper insurance whether they stay or leave after 90 days. At E&M we have contracts with all carriers and can properly advise the individual of the best options. For a quote simply give us a call at 800-974-5077.